ACTION ALERT | February 20, 2008
Equality for All Launches Campaign to Stop Ballot Measure That Would Exclude LGBT Couples From Marriage For Generations
Dear NCLR Supporters,
If you've ever wanted to get involved in the fight for marriage equality, this is your chance! The National Center for Lesbian Rights is working in partnership with the Equality for All campaign and we need your help! Well-funded anti-LGBT organizations are paying people to gather signatures to put a constitutional amendment on the California November 2008 ballot that would prohibit marriage for same-sex couples.
In response to this very serious threat, the Equality for All campaign is launching a statewide effort to encourage Californians not to sign this discriminatory petition. We need everyone who cares about LGBT equality to help. Here’s how:
Join Our Rapid Response Team
We’re looking for dedicated individuals to join our “Rapid Response” team and help us talk to Californians in your area. The Rapid Response Team is our foot soldiers working against the signature gatherers and encouraging people to “decline to sign” this harmful petition. Working with other Rapid Responders near you, our professional team leaders will call you and train you on how you can help. Join our Rapid Response team today.
Help Us Track The Petitions
In order to track their activities and assess the size and funding of the proponents of this discriminatory amendment, we need you to be on the look out for people gathering signatures and report back to the Equality for All Tip Line at email@example.com. Here is what you can do:
- Please ask what petitions people have when you see them. In many instances, the signature gatherers will have more than one. It is okay to ask them, “What petitions do you have?”
- Please ask them if they are paid or volunteer—that’s also okay to ask.
- Take samples of any literature they are offering.
- Do not engage in debate! If the conversation feels tense, move on. If the petitioner is being aggressive towards you, move on. This information is helpful, but it’s not worth your safety.
- Please report back. When you encounter signature gatherers, please email the date, time, location, and paid/volunteer information to the Equality for All Tip Line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since 2003, the Equality for All campaign committee has been leading a large and diverse coalition of groups in California, including communities of color, choice, faith, and labor organizations to prepare for an anti-LGBT ballot measure. We are prepared to mount a vigorous, united campaign to defeat this effort but we need your help. Please visit http://www.equalityforall.com/ for more information and volunteer today.
Kate Kendell, Esq.
National Center for Lesbian Rights
The National Center for Lesbian Rights is a national legal organization committed to advancing the civil and human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their families through litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education.