FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | May 6, 2005
Award-Winning Actress Glenn Close and Other Luminaries of Stage, Screen and Government Will Accept Awards Before a Sell-out Crowd at Moscone Center
(San Francisco, CA, May 6, 2005) —
At its 28th Anniversary Gala, the National Center for Lesbian Rights will host an awards ceremony honoring celebrities and courageous individuals who have dedicated their time, energy and talent to creating a world in which lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people can live freely, without fear of discrimination or prejudice.
- Award-winning actress Glenn Close will receive NCLR's Spirit Award, presented by Colonel Margarethe "Grethe" Cammermeyer (Ret.), who was discharged from the military for being a lesbian.
- Writer, producer, film star and lesbian icon Guinevere Turner from The L Word will receive NCLR's Community Empowerment Award.
- San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera, who alongside NCLR is leading the charge in the fight for marriage equality, will receive NCLR's Equality Champion Award.
- Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez, the first female, first Latina, and first lesbian elected Dallas County Sheriff, will receive the Voice and Visibility Award.
- Five of NCLR's asylum clients, whose courage is testament to the human spirit, will receive the Justice Award.
- The ever-witty Kate Clinton returns by command performance as Emcee of the evening's festivities.
Saturday, May 14, 2005
5:00 p.m. Media Check-in
5:15 - 5:45 p.m. Photo opportunities with SF City Attorney Dennis Herrera and Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez
5:30 - 6:30 p.m. VIP Reception
6:15 - 6:45 p.m. Photo opportunities with Glenn Close, Col. Grethe Cammermeyer and Guinevere Turner
7:30 p.m. Awards Ceremony
Moscone Center South, Esplanade Ball Room, 747 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA
For credentials, send an email with the following information to: boyd@NCLRights.org by Thursday, May 12: Name of reporter/editor/photographer, title, name of organization, type of media organization, phone, fax, email, URL, questions or special requirements. Media credentials can also be obtained on site in the registration area.
NOTE TO EDITORS
Ms. Close will not be available for media interviews. To arrange interviews with other VIPs or Kate Kendell, Executive Director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, contact Karen Boyd at (415) 577-4498.
The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) is the nation's premier public interest law firm dedicated to advancing the rights of lesbians and their families. As lead counsel on the San Francisco marriage case, NCLR is on the front lines in the battle for marriage equality. Each year we serve more than 4,500 gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in all 50 states through a program of litigation, public policy advocacy, free legal advice and counseling and public education.
NCLR's Gala is unique among the nation's charity events, and has earned near-legendary status as the premier gathering of lesbian philanthropists in the country. One of the hottest tickets in town, more than 2,300 lesbians and their supporters will attend this year's sell-out event. Gold Presenting Sponsors of the Gala include AAA, The Dorian Fund, and Wells Fargo.
For more information about NCLR's 28th Anniversary Gala, visit our NCLR Gala Information Section .