FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | December 14, 2005
Hail "Reaffirmation of Commitment to Our Community and American Values"
(San Francisco, CA, December 14, 2005) — A broad coalition of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) organizations today commended Ford Motor Company for reaffirming its support for the LGBT community. In a statement released today, Ford reaffirmed its commitment to its progressive workplace policies, said it would place corporate advertising in LGBT publications on behalf of all of its brands, including Jaguar and Land Rover, and would continue financial support for LGBT organizations and events consistent with its business condition.
"We welcome today's statement from Ford Motor Company and commend their firm stance in support of inclusion. It is an unequivocal reaffirmation of Ford's historic commitment to our community and the core American values of fairness and equality. Moreover, it is conclusive proof of what Ford leaders have repeatedly assured us -- that there never was any deal with anti-LGBT organizations concerning Ford's support for our community.
We are proud to be back in gear with Ford and look forward to working with them in the years ahead."
- Commercial Closet Association
- Family Pride
- Freedom to Marry
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- Gay and Lesbian Leadership Institute
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Human Rights Campaign
- Mautner Project, the National Lesbian Health Organization
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center (NYC)
- Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center
- National Black Justice Coalition
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- National Minority AIDS Council
- National Youth Advocacy Coalition (NYAC)
- Out & Equal Workplace Advocates
- PFLAG National (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays)
- Pride at Work
- Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
- Triangle Foundation
- World Congress of GLBT Jews: Keshet Ga'ava
The controversy erupted on December 1 when the American Family Association (AFA) officially announced it was dropping its threat of a boycott, saying Ford "heard our concerns; they are acting on our concerns. We are pleased with where we are." The next day a Ford spokesperson appeared to confirm an agreement by saying the company would stop advertising its Jaguar and Land Rover brands in gay publications. AFA is an extremist anti-LGBT organization that routinely threatens boycotts against LGBT-supportive companies, television programs it does not like, or even cartoon characters such as SpongeBob.
On December 5, eighteen leading LGBT organizations issued a statement calling upon Ford to disavow any agreement with AFA, to reaffirm its commitment to the LGBT community and to meet with the LGBT community and resolve the issue. As a result of that statement, Ford Motor executives met with LGBT community representatives in Washington, DC on December 12. There, Ford said it would issue a statement based on the topics discussed and the comprehensive statement released today was the result.
Read Ford's statement at www.media.ford.com
The National Center for Lesbian Rights is a national legal organization committed to advancing the civil and human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their families through litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education.