Couples, Laywers to hold post-hearing press conference
(San Francisco, CA, February 29, 2008)—The California Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in In re Marriage Cases, which challenges the constitutionality of state laws that discriminate against same-sex couples in marriage.
What: Post-Hearing Press Conference on Marriage Equality Cases
When: Hearing: Tuesday, March 4 at 9:00 am; Press conference at 12:00 pm immediately following hearing.
- Therese Stewart, San Francisco Chief Deputy City Attorney
- Shannon Minter, Legal Director, National Center for Lesbian Rights and lead counsel in In Re Marriage Cases
- Couples represented in In re Marriage Cases: Jewelle Gomez, Diane Sabin, Dave Chandler, and Jeff Chandler
- Jenny Pizer, Lambda Legal Senior Counsel
- Ron Tyler, Board Chair, American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California
- Gloria Allred, Counsel in In re Marriage Cases, and couples: Robin Tyler, Diane Olson, Troy Perry, and Phillip De Bliek
- Waukeen McCoy, Counsel in In re Marriage Cases
Where: Earl Warren State Office Building, 350 McAllister, San Francisco, California
The court will hear the following case at 9:00 a.m.: In re Marriage Cases (California Supreme Court Case Number S147999).
PLEASE NOTE: Interviews in Spanish and Mandarin are available. Same-sex couples throughout the state of California are available for interviews.
The National Center for Lesbian Rights is a national legal organization committed to advancing the civil and human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their families through litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education.
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work. http://www.lambdalegal.org/
The American Civil Liberties Union is America’s foremost advocate of individual rights. It fights discrimination and moves public opinion on LGBTQ rights through the courts, legislatures and public education. http://www.aclu.org/
Equality California Founded in 1998, Equality California celebrates its 10th anniversary in 2008, commemorating a decade of building a state of equality in California. EQCA is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, grassroots-based, statewide advocacy organization whose mission is to achieve equality and civil rights of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Californians. http://www.eqca.org/